You can either see the glass as half full or half empty, depending on how you look at retirement. The reality totally depends on what the observer sees and believes. Napoleon Hill the great early Twentieth Century motivational writer of Think and Grow Rich wrote, ” What ever the Mind can conceive and believe you can Achieve”. Belief, Faith, Hope and Love are the source in making retirement golden.
1. Take joy in your friends and family around you (My marriage partner is my best friend). Cultivate an attitude of thankfulness and gratitude. It comes down to a choice to make. There is a saying that your attitude will determine your altitude. Learn to appreciate the people around you and have an open mind, you could well see your world in a totally new light. Chew on what they have to offer, it could just make life richer. This leads me to….
2. Learn to listen. This is an art that is worth pursuing, to really listen. Make the other person important, focus on them. Be patient, allowing them to finish speaking without butting (something I am trying to implement). Ask questions relating to their topic, this will prompt further discussion. Saying less is always more, (It could make you wiser in their eyes).
3. More Blessed is it to give than receive. Active people in the community are normally cheerful and full of life, usually living to a ripe fruitful old age. This is motivation to get up in the morning and start living.
4. Utilize the internet more to keep in touch with all your old friends. There are many ways to find old school, college, university, army or work mates. Once you got in touch, both of you get a webcam and microphone set and connect up with each other using Skype. This way the two of you can see and speak to each other for free as long as you have a broad band connection. Sharing old times and memorable moments can be quite uplifting.
5. Blog. Set up a blog on the internet to share your thoughts, hopes and aspirations. This way you can find other like minded people to interact with. Blogs can build a community to discus ,debate and share ideas. Join forums to see what is discussed and then make your contribution.
Finances are the obvious discussion topic but there are other ways to make your retirement golden. I hope there has been some thing of value to you here, to help you see the glass as half full…
** Christina Saunders**